Wednesday, November 4, 2009

venetia


This is the English name I'll use now. (I'm not sure when I'llfeel itchy and change again.)

I've looked up the meaning in Thinkbabynames. And this is what it says:

The girl's name Venetia \v(e)-ne-
tia\ is pronounced ve-NEE-shah. It is of Latin origin. Place name: Venice, the "city of canals" in Italy. The other great Italian tourist mecca, Florence, is more popular. Used since the 17th century.

Venetia is an uncommon first name for women and an equally uncommon last name for both men and women. (1990 U.S. Census) 

I come across this name from the book Shopaholic and Baby. Venetia Carter is a villain in the story, being a smart, young and gorgeous obstetrician but hitting on the patient's husband. Such an unlovely and bitchy character, and so being called "Cruella de Venetia" by Becky (the main character), inspired by Cruella de Vil in the Disney Animation 101 Dalmations.

Cruella De Vil

I'm sure everyone knows this character when you see the picture.Woah, such an evil name, you such you wanna use meh? But I like it being unique lo.

And it's actually a place name of a historical region of northeast Italy. That sounds very poetic and artistic to me. And V is special.

Somehow V is also the initial of many wicked words, for examples:

     1. vendetta   /venˈdetə/ DJ  /vɛn'dɛtə/ KK

    noun
  • a long and violent dispute between two families, in which people are murdered in return for previous murders 


  • a long argument or disagreement in which one person or group does or says things to harm another (against sb)



     2. venom   /ˈvenəm/ DJ /'vɛnəm/ KK

    noun
  • the poisonous liquid that some snakes, spiders, etc. produce when they bite or sting you 


  • strong bitter feeling; hatred and a desire to hurt sb


      
    3. vengeance   /ˈvendʒəns/ DJ  /'vɛndʒəns/ KK
    the act of punishing or harming sb in return for what they have done to you, your family or friends (on/upon sb)  


     





*Shudders*

But but but....

V also for Venus, the goddess of love and beauty.




Hehe.

What do you think?


1 comments on "venetia"

Alex Layman on November 5, 2009 at 10:24 AM said...

Hmm...Venetia...sounds nice. Well if we put aside those wicked words, it's a nice and uncommon name. :)

ChatterBox

Labels

Tags

Link Me!


Link to me - 85x15
Copy & paste codes below:

Live Traffic Map

Live Traffic Feed

 

venetia ♥ Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal