Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Stay at SDMC


This year itself, my mum had operations twice because she was diagnosed to have had colon cancer.


It was very early stage when found out but we didn't want to take a chance. Few weeks later, she was in the hospital ready for the operation already. It was quite a major surgery, part of her big intestine had to be remove along with her rectum.


After the surgery, my mum actually asked the surgeon the length of the intestine he had actually removed, he just smiled and didn't want to answer. My mum asked again, "8 or 9 iches?" Then he said, "Around there." So I believe it's longer than that. The surgeon added, "Not to worry, it's useless anyway."


During the first surgery(April), the surgeon cut a stoma in her stomach for her to pass motion while giving time for intestine to join properly. My mum couldn't take the surgery very well, she had fever for a few days and suffered from the side effect from the anesthetic (believed to be), she couldn't pass urine by herself, a small tube has be inserted into her urethra when she felt like going to the ladies(luckily this problem has gone after she was discharged). She was not allowed to eat or drink for the first two days after the operation, only sip of water to dampen her lips, so pity. Her weight dropped from 40kg to 35kg.





During weekends I took over the shift from my sister so that she can sleep at home. We didn't pay for extra bed so staying overnight means having to sleep on the armed chair, which was very torturing.


And I brought my lappy as my companion.





Apa boleh buat kalau bukan facebooking? I was playing Restaurant City.


By then, my mum was much better already, can eat soft food and walk around the room.





You can see my mum's left arm is swollen from the drips.


The next bed patient's daughter and my mum. She was so curious with everything, when I was using the laptop, I heard her asking her mum, "Why the aunty beside has got TV?" Then my mum ajak her to come over.She was 4 years old,I think her name is Sabrina or Natasha.





The view outside the window.

* * *


In July, my mum came back for the second surgery.

This time round, I took leave from the college to accompany her.The surgeon will seal the stoma and re-join the small intestine to the big intestine. After this,my mum could go to the toilet like normal.


The Pink Thing.





I bought TPT from the pharmacy downstairs to teman me.





We got the same bed again. The number 5880 did come out the first day we came in.





This was the place I eat, sleep and study! That time was right before my midterm so had to be rajin a bit.


But there's always time for camwhoring.








I actually kinda liked the food there in SDMC, I had no idea a hospital actually provide good food. So, the few days there, besides studying, buying books(I didn't bring my laptop this time, I need to study what), I also pretty much enjoyed discovering good food there. The fish porridge there had a lot and a lot of fish slices. Even ordinary fried bihun here doesn't taste like ordinary fried bihun. And the bread is super soft and yummy *droolss*.



My mum is now left with a vertical 10 inches scar stretching out all the way from her abdomen to her lower tummy and a two inches one at the side where the stoma previously was. However, she is fine now and getting stronger.


3 comments on "My Stay at SDMC"

Alex Layman on September 17, 2009 at 4:40 AM said...

Hey, glad to know that your mom is getting better and stronger... :) Seems like the SDMC food is very good huh. :)

wenhui on September 17, 2009 at 12:18 PM said...

yup, worth a try if u happen to..er.. drop by. *touch wood*

Alex Layman on September 22, 2009 at 10:25 PM said...

*touch wood* well..if the drop by is not meant literally...should be worth it..haha >_>"

ChatterBox

Labels

Tags

Link Me!


Link to me - 85x15
Copy & paste codes below:

Live Traffic Map

Live Traffic Feed

 

venetia ♥ Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | All Image Presented by Online Journal